Tuesday, June 5, 2012

10 Things I've Learned in 20 Years

This year marks my 20th year in Minnesota.  Having grown up on the East Coast I thought I knew everything, I found I did not.  Here are a few things I've learned in the Land of 10,000 Lakes.
1.  We are in charge of nothing, nature is a powerful force, tornadoes take buildings apart with ease and relocate the pieces across the countryside.  Hail the size of baseballs do damage, especially to cars left outside because someone took all the room in the garage with his "stuff."  Dents galore create a more aerodynamic car according to my one and only.  40 degrees below zero does make your eyes sting, your breath freeze and really wakes you up in a hurry when you step outside.
2.  People with real blonde hair and blue eyes do exist and not only that, there are a lot of them!
3.  Chicken does not originate in traypack at the supermarket.  People actually discuss the best ways to kill chickens, some whip them over their heads to snap the neck, others use the knife and I'm sure there are more ways, these are the most frequently sited in my company.
4.  Huge farm implements drive down the road, like everyone else!  I can't name any of them, but they are impressive.
5.  People love their Minnesota Twins, not because they are bizzion dollar athletes but because they are scrappy.  People love their Minnesota Vikings because they like to have their hearts broken.
6.  People love the water and they go up North to get to it.  (As opposed to migrating south to the shore and ocean.)  People just don't sit and bake in the sun, they camp, fish, kayak, walk the trails or bike them...they do stuff at the lake!
7.  There is nothing as exciting in spring as looking at the perfect rows in the fields and seeing the corn break through.  It grows to knee high by the 4th of July, rises to the sun and then golden against the autumn sky.  Late at night, the farmers are out, lights on their combines in the fields taking in the harvest.  Honest, hard work, honest hardworking people.
8.  Cows are big and their calves are adorable, racing to catch up with Mom, leaning against her for comfort and security.
9. When it's light, it's light and when it's dark, it's dark.  Summer the sun is up around 5 am and twilight lasts until 10 pm; Winter, sun up at 7:45 am and down at 4:30.  It's amazed me for 20 years.
10.  Minnesota is a great place to raise kids, get a great education, make wonderful kind and caring friends (although I do miss some dear friends back East) and meet the greatest guy around...my Mr. Schmidt.

No comments:

Post a Comment