Thursday, October 15, 2009

MEA

MEA is that time in October when teachers are to attend the annual convention to gain knowledge, look at the gagets and gizzmos offered by high priced academic vendors and commiserate. I got up this morning and my wonderful husband asked, "Don't you have a conference today?" Standing in my pj's, with my wild thinning get up hair, eyeing the coffee pot I responded, "What??" "You know conference." "Oh, convention, it's in the Twin Cities, not sure if that is Minneapolis or St. Paul." My now step down from a wonderful husband walked away muttering something about my dedication to my profession.
I suppose some people will think that not taking advantage of all the convention has to offer, or even a little is displaying my lack of enthusiasm for my job. Perhaps. But as my colleague said to me as I began walking out of the office yesterday, loaded down with books and papers, "Remember Kathy, don't think about this place at all for the next four days...it is time to rejuvenate." Without a word, I walked back to my desk and dropped what was in my arms. She was right. For some of us teachers, MEA is a time to let go of all the tension, slow the pace, gain some distance and perspective about what we do every day. For us it's not going to the convention and being bombarded on the outside. It's quiet time alone for reflection and re dedication on the inside to our profession.

No comments:

Post a Comment